Wednesday 16 March 2011

personal finance books

This post is from staff writer April Dykman.


Last year I wrote about the stereotypes perpetuated by many personal finance books written for women, especially that women like to “shop till they drop.”


As I mentioned in the article, a Consumer Expenditure Survey showed that women and men spend the same amount of money, just on different items. Women spend more on clothing and men spend more on restaurants, gadgets, and transportation. Also, a Stanford University study found that incidents of compulsive shopping were almost the same among men and women (6% for women, 5.5% for men).


But where women are actually falling behind is retirement. Women earn less over their lifetimes and live longer, so I wondered why some of these personal finance books for women were focusing on a stereotype that women have a problem with overspending instead of on serious, documented issues like retirement readiness?


This isn’t to say that there aren’t any good money books for women out there. I fully admit that I haven’t explored genre myself because the cutesy titles and pink cover art on some of the books was enough to put me off of it entirely. But after writing that GRS post, a couple of female authors contacted me to ask if I would be interested in reading their personal finance books. I figured, why not? I’m complaining about the genre, so let’s explore it and see what’s out there.


The Savvy Life Philosophy

The first book to arrive in my mailbox was Living the Savvy Life: The Savvy Woman’s Guide to Smart Spending and Rich Living by Melissa Tosetti and Kevin Gibbons, who also run The Savvy Life online magazine.


Living the Savvy Life focuses on finding balance, not becoming a tightwad or cheapskate. The philosophy isn’t anything new for most long time GRS readers: “Save money on the things that aren’t as important to you so you can afford to spend money on the things that are important to you.” The writers break this down into the following six manageable savvy habits:



  1. Pay yourself first. Save 20% of your income (15% for retirement and 5% for emergency savings) and enjoy the rest.


  2. Track your spending. The authors use an Excel spreadsheet, but later go into detail about other ways to track spending.


  3. Pay all of your bills on payday. This ensures you’ll have the money to pay your bills, eliminates late fees, and creates a routine that gives you more control over your finances. They even recommend filling up your car with gas and purchasing your groceries as close to payday as possible.


  4. Set financial goals. What big-ticket items are in your future? Research the actual cost, create a visual reminder, and open a savings account dedicated to your goal. Set a realistic date for achieving it.


  5. Know when to invest and when to bargain shop. Before you buy something, consider what you need it for and how long it will last.


  6. Spend money on the things you truly want. Sometimes it can be difficult to distinguish between what you want and what advertisements tell you you should want. As you approach the checkout counter, no matter what type of store you’re in, take a look at the items in your hand or in your cart and ask yourself if they are things you intended to purchase before you came in the store and whether you really want them.


The next chapter, titled “You Can Afford It”, was one of my favorite parts of the book. Tosetti and Gibbons write:


“Stop saying you ‘can’t afford it.’ The fact is that you can. If you made more money, you could. If you didn’t have a car payment, you could. If your mortgage was lower, you could. There may be caveats, but you can afford anything! Being able to afford what you want is about choices. Whether that choice involves doing something to make more money or lowering your cost of living, you chose to work in a career earning your current salary. You chose to buy the car you drive. You chose to live in your current home. The point is that you are in charge of your money. Money in and money out—you make the decisions.


The authors go on to give several case studies of people who improved their salary, increased their income in other ways, focused their spending, and changed their attitudes about money.


In the next several chapters they break down spending categories—home, entertainment, wardrobe, beauty, food—to help you decide how important they are in your life (if at all) and offer money-saving ideas. The last eight chapters are dedicated to more personal finance information, such as organizing your finances, ways to pay down debt, an explanation of compound interest, how to use credit responsibly, and other financial rules of thumb. There also is an exercise to help you determine your ultimate goals in life, create a plan to reach them, as well as tips to stay motivated during your journey.


Recommended, with reservations

All in all, I like this book. It presents personal finance in terms of lifestyle decisions, which makes it easier to understand and more practical. Several of the examples from the authors’ own lives sounded familiar to my own financial journey. For example, they write that their trip to Disney World was a powerful lesson on how they could focus their spending to do the things that were really important to them. For me, my trip to Italy was what made me think hard about how I was spending my money—I’d been bitten by the travel bug.


This book is perfect for the woman who is just starting to show an interest in her finances, but might be nervous that being financially savvy means being a miser. Even those who have read a personal finance book or two are likely to pick up new ideas. For example, one of my favorite tips was to create a dedicated area in your home for managing your money and to make the space as inviting as possible. It’s the difference between two scenarios:



  1. Getting frustrated as you try to hunt down bills, receipts, checks, postage, and envelopes to hurriedly transfer money or get checks in the mail at a crowded kitchen table, or

  2. Sitting down at a desk with all of those things in their place, a framed photo of your last skiing trip (because you’re saving up for the next one), and a cup of tea.


Too often, my money management “space” is more like the former than the latter.


My one gripe with The Savvy Life is that I wish the authors had placed more emphasis on retirement issues unique to women. While they do cover retirement, I would have liked for them to drive home the importance of it even more. When I learned about the obstacles that women face when it comes to retirement savings, it was eye-opening—almost scary. I think it’s easy for that message to get lost among the examples of more exciting goals, such as houses, cars, travel, etc. Retirement sounds downright boring in comparison.


Nevertheless, The Savvy Life packs in the essential information along with smart tips, and I liked the friendly and conversational tone. I wish I could have read it years ago—like maybe the day I graduated from high school.






In my fantasy life, I’m an organized guy. In the real world, that’s just not the case. I do my best to stay on top of things — I make lists, use a calendar, ask Kris for help — but there always seems to be something slipping through the cracks.


Before we left for Africa, for example, I hid my wallet. I always do this when we go on a long trip. (I don’t use my wallet when I travel.) And every time, I have trouble finding it when I get home. You’d think I’d develop a system — but no.


I’m not the only one with problems like this. Sure, there are folks out there like Kris and her sister — people who never let anything fall through the cracks — but they’re few and far between. Most of us need to develop systems to help our lives run smoothly.


Developing systems that work

I’ve read dozens of books on time management, coping with clutter, and getting things done. But I’ve never found a magic cure-all for disorganization. The trouble is, as with personal finance, there’s no one right answer. Each of us is different. We have different strengths, different weakness, and different aims in life. There’s no one system that’s going to work for every person.


For years, my motto at Get Rich Slowly has been do what works for you. I don’t mean by this that one choice is as good as another. There are best practices for paying off debt, saving for retirement, and buying a used car. What I mean is that there’s no one system that works for everyone. The debt snowball helped me get out of debt, but it may have you treading water.


I’ve found that the key to developing systems that work for me is to take bits and pieces from other people’s ideas, and to remix them in ways that fit my goals and strengths. This is true for all aspects of my life, including fitness, finance, writing, travel, and more.


I’ve noticed, though, that there are three elements that seem to be part of every successful system in my life: routine, automation, and simplicity.


The Power of Routine

By far the most important key to my success is establishing routines. Why have I managed to lose so much weight in the past year? Because I made it a habit to get up at 5:30 every morning so that I could be at the gym by 6:30. How did I manage to buy my Mini? I made saving a routine.


Valuable financial habits or routines include:



  • Paying yourself first

  • Tracking your spending

  • Checking your receipts

  • Controlling impulse spending with the 30-day rule


When something becomes routine, it becomes a natural part of your life. It’s not something you have to force yourself to do. It’s almost automatic, which makes it easier to do the right thing instead of letting your emotions get the better of you.


I’ve also had great success by foisting my routines onto the poor, unsuspecting computers around me. Automation helps my systems run smoothly.


The Power of Automation

When I was younger, I had a heck of a time remembering to pay my bills on time. Even when I had a set routine — for years, I paid bills on the first Saturday of every month — I’d sometimes forget to follow it. So, whenever I find a way to automate some part of my life, I do it.


Removing me from the equation just makes thing run so much more smoothly. That’s why I’ve spent the past several years developing a paperless personal-finance system, which includes:



  • Automatic bill payments. All of my regular bills are automatically paid electronically.


  • Automatic saving. Every month, I have money automatically transferred to my savings accounts. (Remember, I keep multiple savings accounts to pursue different goals.)


  • Automatic investing. Well, I don’t actually do this now — I’m making manual investments at the end of every tax year — but for a long time, my retirement accounts automatically pulled from my paycheck and/or checking account.


This automation is an essential part of my financial system. It helps prevent stupid errors — like forgetting to pay a bill before vacation. Plus, I’ve found the automation keeps me motivated. The money for my bills is going to be pulled on specific dates, so I’d better be sure my accounts are funded.




BenchCraft, LLC announced that it can debut its Concert Series, a whole new line of recliners with an integrated sound procedure, at Increased Stage Marketplace on October 17-22, 2009. Concert Sequence recliners aspect two built-in stereo speakers plus a subwoofer constructed particularly to build a full vary of sound. It has tactile motors which can either vibrate using the sound or be utilized independently like a massage procedure, and separate controls that permit for individual adjustments for being created towards the volume, bass/treble, as well as the tactile/massage element. The process, which will have a starting up selling price stage of $699, will also involve a mini audio jack so consumers can connect to their diverse audio sources (i.e. iPods, MP3 players, cell phones, etc.). To that end, Sinning noted that Berkline may also be introducing in decide upon motion
bench craft company reviews
furnishings its new eCoupled solutions option--a wireless charging station for digital gadgets together with cell phones, MP3 gamers, and laptops. Formulated by Fulton Innovation, it eliminates the need to have for power cords by building an electromagnetic conduit combined with an intelligent manage technique that consistently monitors power flow so a range of gadgets from distinct manufactures can charge simultaneously. eCoupled technologies can be safe for electronic products because it delivers only the quantity of energy
bench craft company reviews
desired to keep a device at peak vitality levels, so there exists no possibility of overcharging. While the quantity of devices compatible with this particular technological innovation is limited, Berkline expects that a great deal more and much more brand names will move toward incorporating the capability to connect to your eCoupled operate

The Bench Craft Company presents no excuses for that hard do the job and perseverance that they commit on their own to so that you can retain on their own because the leader in nationwide onsite golf course house
bench craft company reviews
advertising. No excuses for furnishing their consumers together with the most in depth protection for his or her bench craft company reviews marketing dollar irrespective of whether it be locally or nationwide. No excuses for delivering golf program properties quite possibly the most seamless program for generating additional profits inside the most non-intrusive way, despite the fact that enhancing the outstanding on the amenities plus the working experience of their golfers on their house. Bench Craft is committed to being the ideal in addition to the main at what they do, marketing on golf course bench craft company reviews venues.
In an age the place nobody
bench craft company reviews
wants to take responsibility for anything, Bench Craft makes by itself totally accountable for the achievement of their promoting customers, that is why their purchasers and very well as Bench Craft continuously experience wholesome expansion rates and revenue margins. A service won't be able to be anymore
bench craft company reviews
triumphant than their customer, so it is actually purpose of Bench Craft to make certain that any customer gets the most beneficial potential venue for presenting their buyers
bench craft company reviews
goods and companies, if it be locally or nationally. This dedication to superior is what sets Bench Craft aside from its competitors, and dollar for dollar can make its advertising programs a number of the most worthwhile during the business.
The golf courses bench craft company reviews that Bench Craft Company functions in concert with, acquire providers and solutions at no expenditure. Bench Craft Company revenue staff straight funds this product for each golf course by obtaining sponsors for every product or service. Community vendors and gamers during the neighborhood obtain sponsorship priority and golf course management operates carefully with Bench Craft to realize probable sponsors. Bench Craft’s really thriving
bench craft company reviews
product provides golf courses a free of cost alternate that also eliminates charges therefore of structure variations, program modifications, theft and vandalism.
As being a definite extra advantage, every program is safeguarded beneath a $3,000,000 liability policy. The organization can accommodate pretty much just about every golf course. At the same time, Bench Craft Company works collectively with all branches from the Armed Forces, along with state, county and town golf courses. This array of golf programs will provide Bench Craft’s people using the most extensive coverage of golf program properties while in the Usa.
The forward
bench craft company reviews
considering Visionaries at Bench Craft Company formulated a tactic that garners the consideration and participation of not only its very own sales employees, however the sponsors, golf program management and the membership and patrons. There is just one Bench Craft Company, don’t fall for rip off plots by imposters operating a rip-off.
bench craft company reviews




No comments:

Post a Comment